Re: (ET) A Cause of Poor Lift Performance

On 1/27/2015 6:16 PM, Steve Shore wrote:
Buick is a GM product - and I believe motor assemblies from many GM badges
would prove functional in this case - ie. this one from a Corvette.

That brings up a good point: One thing I noticed while working on these motors is that the GE motors had the main gear assembly as a solid unit. If you look at some of the GM models, the gear actually has a big spring in it that connects the outside of the gear to the pinion on the end.

The result is the motor can start to "spin up" and load up the spring before lifting. Instead of going to full power from a dead stop it gets a bit of a running start. I think this makes a difference, all three of my lift motors have this in common nowadays.