Re: (ET) Replace a lift strap, motor, etc....

If the motor smells funny, and it's not a hot oil smell, you're probably
cooking the varnish on the windings.

I run my lift motor at 24v, and I think that's as high as I'd want to go
on
a motor designed for 12v.

I'm  not an engineer, but as I understand it, at nominal voltages a well-
designed series motor's natural back EMF will help to regulate the current
it draws at speed.

I think you're right that for a given power output, double the voltage
SHOULD mean half the current.  But that doesn't mean that you should just
double the voltage, because the power oiutput WON'T stay constant.

When you increase the voltage, you increase the available power output at
all speeds.  I think this is not just because of Ohm's law, but also
because
it bucks more of the current-limiting back EMF.  Again, my understanding
from EV work (subject to revision by true engineers) is that the main
danger
is at high load, low speed, and therefore high current.  However, at high
speed you can also fireball the brushes with too much voltage.  So getting
carried away with the overvoltage thing is a hazard all round.

Be a bummer to have your lift let its smoke out in the middle of moving
18"
of snow, eh?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA