Re: (ET) A Cause of Poor Lift Performance

On 27 Jan 2015 at 17:57, Chris Zach wrote:

> On 1/27/2015 10:55 AM, Konstanty, Walter (GE Energy Management) wrote:
> >  The lift motor was out of a GM Cadillac window motor from what I
> >    recall..... not exactly made for this duty.
>
> Buick.

And I heard it was from a Corvette.  ;-)  Don't recall from whom; maybe
Bill
Gunn?

My guess is that GM used the same motor in dozens of different models,
probably for many model years.

However, the ET was designed a long time ago.  I have no idea how much
GM's
window lift motors may have changed since then.  How many of the old
design
are now left in the boneyards is anybody's guess.

There are few times that I think an ICE tractor has more going for it than
an ET does, but I have to admit that my ET's lift looks like a hack job
compared to the smooth, powerful, reliable hydraulic lift on my neighbor's
midsize Deere (?).

Maybe a linear actuator could be adapted?  I seem to recall someone
mentioning that here quite a few years back, but don't remember what
became
of the attempt.

> ... the GE motors had the main gear assembly as a solid unit... some of
> the GM models, the gear actually has a big spring in it that connects
> the outside of the gear to the pinion on the end ...  the motor can
> start to "spin up" and load up the spring before lifting.

My guess is that GM intended that more as a safety feature than as a
performance feature.  It gives the passenger a little more of a chance if
he
gets his hand in the way of a closing window.  But that's just a guess;
I'm
not an automotive engineer.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA