Re: (ET) Mower deck crisis!

Push mower decks are frequently plastic these days.  I have a
20-year-old Black and Decker 120VAC corded mower that's almost
entirely plastic... polyethylene, I think.  It's been beaten pretty
hard over the years, and the parts that have worn out have all been
metal, oddly enough.

But if you want to protect a fabricated deck from harm, you'd do
better by attaching an engine cut-out to a spring-loaded bumper on the
front of it than trying to make it invulnerable to abuse.  My tractor
weighs nearly half a ton and can go nearly 9mph - it's not practical
to try to make a deck that can withstand me driving it into a tree.  A
cut-out switch is a no-brainer, just wire it right in series with the
seat switch.

--Charlie