Re: (ET) drive motor spins, but tractor won't budge

Woohoo! After about three hours, I finally got the wheel/hub (which were rusted together) off the axle. The Woodruff key had sheered on the inner end (closer to the transmission), allowing the hub to slide inward on the axle. The rest of the key was still intact, and keeping me from being able to pull the hub back off. So, in our nice hot July 4th weather, I bundled up in jeans and a thick long-sleeve shirt, and attached the exposed portion of the key with a grinder with a metal cutting wheel. I cut off as much of the key as I could (and did some nice cosmetic damage to the hub in the process), but then had to use a drill to destroy the part of the key that was further back (the key had chewed up part of the hub as the axle turned while I tried to drive after the key sheered, so part of the key was recessed back inside the hub where I couldn't reach it with the grinder). After lots of tugging (fun with a strained intercostal muscle), I finally got the hub/wheel past the rust and remaining bits of the key. It looks like I should be able to just replace the key and get it working again. All of the rest of the damage seems to just be cosmetic (and a fair amount of it inflicted by me :) ). There's a whole lot of rust I should remove first though....

Mike

--

Michael S. Briggs, PhD
UNH Physics Department