(ET) Question for Controller owners

This is a question to anyone using a non-alltrax controller that is not using field weakening (36v straight to field)... It is my understanding that the field should use no more then 5 amps. Please correct me if wrong. I have looked at quite a few ckt diagrams for different controller installs and do not see any fuses on the field. Has anyone installed a 5A fuse on the field ckt? I am thinking of installing such a fuse, which if it blows, will turn off my solenoid killing all power to controller. Does this make sense? Am i being over cautious?