Re: (ET) Lift motor ideas?

Hmm, good thoughts, gentlemen.

Converting to a 36 volt lift would be a Good Thing, doing away with the
battery-unbalancing taps.  For folks who use the GE charger, that might
add
significantly to battery life, since you could stop beating up the
untapped
batteries for the sake of the tapped ones.

You can find 36v to 12v DC:DC converters to run the lights without much
trouble, but a 36v to 18v DC:DC for the original lift is a real challenge.

As for my setup, with my current battery configuration, I don't have an
18v
tap option because I use 12v batteries (6 in series/parallel).  It's 12v,
24v, or nothing.  (Or 36v.)  I tried 12v, but decided that while breaking
for coffee every time I had to raise the blade was kind of attractive, it
wasn't going to get the driveway done very fast.

The subway door opener Kim mentioned would indeed be "some assembly
required," in fact probably some DISassembly required - it's 15" long and
has a 1.25" output shaft!  Definitely not a bolt-in replacement.

For some reason I've grown fond of bolt-in upgrades over the years.  I'm
OK
with paying somebody with more engineering smarts than I have to figure
out
the combination to making it work.  The rise of that attitude seems to be
more or less complimentary with the decline of my taste for lying in dirt
and melting snow to work under cars and tractors.

I wonder if there's enough interest to make a lift motor upgrade kit a
viable product for one of the EV parts suppliers.  The analog I'm thinking
of here is Bill Gunn's brake upgrade kit, which took most of the thrill
out
of going down steep hills with the ET.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA