Re: (ET) sparks!

      It's not a big deal. The only 'trick' is to keep the brushes cocked in the holders until they are over the commutator during reassembly.Some folks prefer using short pieces of kite string to hold them at bay.

      They are a lot less exciting to assemble than the permanent magnet motors.  :)     (*PINCH!* OUCH! )

    Inspect the brush holder assembly carefully. Many of these left the plant with the rivet securing one connection loose. Burn, fry, not GOOD.Also the screw securing the brush braid to it's terminal is sometimes found loose. Polish those surfaces to brightness, then re-secure.

    Our vendors here will likely have the parts that might be destroyed if you find any.

RJ

Christopher Zach wrote:
RJ Kanary wrote:
    The "Apollo Era" material used to insulate the A&S terminals from the motor case deteriorate. When an attempt is made to address this concern without motor removal and disassembly, invariably the stud gets rotated and the brush or shunt lead is now firmly in contact with the motor case.

Hm. I did disconnect the motor once, I forgot why. Maybe I spun the brush wires inside the motor? I could probably figure out which one with either an ohmmeter or a voltmeter when under load.

How difficult is it to take apart an E20 motor anyway? Big pain, little pain?

Chris