Re: (ET) sparks!

Thon, I was surprised to see your post because I had the same experience plus some excitement here with my E-12 tonight!. While removing the nuts and bolts to get the right side panel off, I had to partially remove the charger cage and accidentally scraped it (actually the resistors strips) on the chassis. Even though the main disconnect and the key were off, it took off in reverse and I had to jump on and ride it and figure out how to stop it. Fortunately it didn't run into anything. When I jiggled the charger cage it stopped and I saw that the R1 strap was burnt in two. I've know for a long time that I have a ground fault but haven't tried real hard to fix it. The charger cage has had 13 volts on it for some time and I use a piece of wood to insulate the mounting screw. Someone said a likely place for the ground fault is in the lift motor. I've got a replacement for the R1 resistor, so I'll see if that fixes it tomorrow. Our problems are similar. I would say your charger cage has a voltage on it and if its not insulated from the frame, the frame is hot also. Good luck fixing it.
Bill Alburty E-12 Kansas

tbamc wrote:
While looking into my sporadic working forward gears problem I disconnected the neg. battery terminal closest to the charger. When hooking it back up I managed to scrape it across the cage over the charger and got a decent sized spark. Main disconnect and key, were off.

Does this mean I've got a ground fault I need to find?  :-)

Thanks.

Thon