Re: (ET) Overheating Problem

If you have the OEM disconnect, it is indeed a likely source of problems as those have known reliability issues. However... if you hear the relays clicking, then the disconnect must be turned on OK? Hmmm. Do watch the Fuel Level meter to see what it does.

And yes, I have the "Bill Gunn Style" replacements available - just added it to the on-line store. I've been doing a total restoration of an E14 so when I installed the disconnect I took lots of color pictures of the switch so I can update the instruction sheet someday. And yes, no wedding ring while working on the tractor. At least when I remember. And remember to change to my other (safety) glasses when painting, grinding, etc.

Building this tractor from the ground up is giving me new appreciation for exactly what all goes into one of these machines. It is taking just a little longer than expected :-)

I need to post some pics of the project. And pics of how NOT to bypass a broken disconnect switch (also bypassing the fusible link and any remote bit of safety).

Jim Coate
www.ElectricTractorStore.com

soltrak wrote:
Well, I seem to have narrowed the overheating problem to the one battery wire. There was a bad connection at the wire lug. I replaced the wire, which runs from the second battery in front to the power disconnect switch. NOW the drive motor won't run!! I switched off the Power Disconnect switch when I changed the wire. Is it possible the switch is faulty? When I try to put it in reverse or forward, the relays switch but nothing happens.

--
Jim Coate, Spencertown, New York

NOTE: Mail sent to the "NO_REPLY" address will *not* reach me.
To send me a private message, please follow the directions here:
http://www.coate.org/contact_jim/

1998 Electric S-10, 1997 Solectria Force, 1970's Elec-Traks
http://www.eeevee.com

The Electric Tractor Store is now open!
http://www.electrictractorstore.com