Re: (ET) Overheating Problem

It is the over current / over temp protective device. Brought to you by the nice folks at Texas Instruments some time before WW II.Testing would require knowing the rating, and the amount of time required for it to open at 100% of rating, 125% of rating, etc., plus a derate for temperature.{Opens sooner the hotter it is.}

Not having any of that data in front of me, I look at the model number of the Klixon®. In that number is usually the rating. Taking my trusty Cornell / Dubilier Battery Eliminator,[Capable of 25 VDC @30A max.] I select a current output to approximate the rating on the Klixon®. Then connect the leads, stand back..........turn the power on and watch ! If the Klixon opens within a second or two at room temperature, I declare it good and return it to service.

Any time I've seen a mower motor with the armature melted down, the Klixon has failed this test. Bear in mind, I'm not an EE, nor do I portray one on Television..........................

RJ

soltrak wrote:
What exactly is the Klixon on the mower motor and how would you go about checking it?

JL