Re: (ET) inverter

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, steves wrote:

I'm almost certain the electronic ones have been discussed - check the
archives. As I recall the one mentioned was really nice, but pretty
expensive.

... Ok, I got curious and checked- There is some discussion about a
Trace inverter, but it appears to be 24V. anyway there's a name to
google. Ah - here's one - Tripp-Lite was mentioned as making a 36V product.

On the motor-generator - actually I believe they are much cleaner than
electronic inverters since they directly generate a pure sine-wave
output. I'm not sure how efficient they are - but I think they are
pretty decent.

They probably are cleaner - the efficiency though is what I'd be concerned with (converting electrical energy to mechanical energy just to convert it back to electrical energy in an AC voltage rather than DC also just bugs me as being not very elegant :) ). Hm, I should probably sit down and calculate how long a fully charged pack could power our chest freezer and refrigerator... and maybe an AC if necessary.... (losing power during a heat wave can really suck)

Mike

- SteveS

Michael S Briggs wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking more of an electric DC to AC inverter, rather than
a DC motor to spin a generator to make AC power (that seems inefficient,
an extra step for some losses, plus noisy). I only looked a little bit,
but didn't find many 36VDC to 120VAC inverters. I was hoping that some
company would have made them for golf carts.

Mike