Re: (ET) Newbie tries plowing

I think chains are key. With a layer or snow they do not mark the pavement unless you allow a lot of wheel spin.  The pushing power is just increadible.  I don't add extra weight.

I find when the snow get too deep, the front tends to be pushed sideways.  Sometimes you need to take the first run with the plow elevated.  Or you can straighten the plow and make a series of runs just to give you some working space.  18-20 inch in light snow, 10-12 inch heavy snow is tough.  Also if you live in cold areas, the snow banks keep closing in on you as the winter goes on.

So I use both a blower and plow.  but the plow is a lot of fun.

Chris Tromley <chris_t microtrac com> wrote:
Hi All,

Last week we got a few inches of snow so I got an easy introduction to using
the plow. Then we got a foot last weekend. I figured this will be a snap,
oh I'm so glad I got a plow.

Not.

Maybe I should have known better, but I grew up in southern California,
where the weather is 76 degrees with a gentle breeze every day, all year
round. On the east coast the only snow tools I've used are a shovel and my
(surprisingly effective) electric snowblower.

Is a foot of snow too much for an ET and a plow? That first pass pushing
everything aside was a real bear. I quickly learned that speed is my
friend, making ample use of D2. Still, that's a lot of snow. Even after
the first pass, angling the blade and pushing it all to one side wasn't
easy. I had to take pretty light passes. Finally it got to the point that
the snow was piled too high and packed too hard. I had to break out the
little snowblower, which finished the job remarkably well considering its
size.

There were some other issues I know I have to deal with. During mowing
season I frequently couldn't tell what speed I was in, or whether I actually
changed speeds when I moved the lever. Last weekend there were frequent
hesitations before the tractor would take off after I moved the lever.
Toward the end it wouldn't get up to the higher speeds at all. I had been
thinking of adding a little light panel to show what speed I'm in, but maybe
I'd be better off just getting in there and cleaning all my contacts?

Also I was low on power toward the end. I didn't think plowing took that
much juice, but then it was 20 degrees and my batteries are 8 years old. No
problem mowing my yard, but maybe I need to warm them up with a charge the
night before if plowing is planned.

I could use some chains, too. Just wondering, do they mark up your asphalt
at all?

I guess my main question is what is the practical limit of snow to clear
using the plow? This was pretty light and fluffy stuff. I can't imagine
how difficult it would be if it was wet and sloppy. I think I'll be keeping
my snowblower after all.

Chris Tromley
near Philadelphia PA USA

100% Gas-Free Yard Equipment:
* Avco New Idea EGT 150 electric tractor
with mid-mount mower deck and snow blade
* B&D corded electric mower and string trimmer
* Patriot 1.5 hp electric chipper/shredder/vac
* Remington Garden Wizard corded electric tiller
* Craftsman corded electric snow thrower