(ET) Newbie tries plowing

Hi All,

Last week we got a few inches of snow so I got an easy introduction to
using
the plow.  Then we got a foot last weekend.  I figured this will be a snap,
oh I'm so glad I got a plow.

Not.

Maybe I should have known better, but I grew up in southern California,
where the weather is 76 degrees with a gentle breeze every day, all year
round.  On the east coast the only snow tools I've used are a shovel and my
(surprisingly effective) electric snowblower.

Is a foot of snow too much for an ET and a plow?  That first pass pushing
everything aside was a real bear.  I quickly learned that speed is my
friend, making ample use of D2.  Still, that's a lot of snow.  Even after
the first pass, angling the blade and pushing it all to one side wasn't
easy.  I had to take pretty light passes.  Finally it got to the point that
the snow was piled too high and packed too hard.  I had to break out the
little snowblower, which finished the job remarkably well considering its
size.

There were some other issues I know I have to deal with.  During mowing
season I frequently couldn't tell what speed I was in, or whether I
actually
changed speeds when I moved the lever.  Last weekend there were frequent
hesitations before the tractor would take off after I moved the lever.
Toward the end it wouldn't get up to the higher speeds at all.  I had been
thinking of adding a little light panel to show what speed I'm in, but
maybe
I'd be better off just getting in there and cleaning all my contacts?

Also I was low on power toward the end.  I didn't think plowing took that
much juice, but then it was 20 degrees and my batteries are 8 years old.
No
problem mowing my yard, but maybe I need to warm them up with a charge the
night before if plowing is planned.

I could use some chains, too.  Just wondering, do they mark up your asphalt
at all?

I guess my main question is what is the practical limit of snow to clear
using the plow?  This was pretty light and fluffy stuff.  I can't imagine
how difficult it would be if it was wet and sloppy.  I think I'll be
keeping
my snowblower after all.

Chris Tromley
near Philadelphia  PA  USA

100% Gas-Free Yard Equipment:
* Avco New Idea EGT 150 electric tractor
  with mid-mount mower deck and snow blade
* B&D corded electric mower and string trimmer
* Patriot 1.5 hp electric chipper/shredder/vac
* Remington Garden Wizard corded electric tiller
* Craftsman corded electric snow thrower