Re: (ET) Solar charging, part 2 :using a stationary pack

Yes, that is another possibility. I use a 100 watt grid-tie inverter hooked
to my main battery pile (300amps at 24 volts) to divert surplus sun power
from my panels into the grid. I do like inertae: it is the best way to get
efficiency out of a solar panel setup.

However I will say that the efficiency of my solar charger is pretty close
to 100%. The efficiency of the Elec-Trak's on-board charger is nowhere near
as good (lot o' heat). Thus by using the grid-tie approach, it is not as
efficient as charging directly from the panels.

The typical "solar" way is as follows:

Tractor gets top priority for charging
Bringing the shed batteries to 25 volts gets second priority
Rest is sold to the grid.

The batteries in the shed typically get a full charge during the morning
(the panels can put in up to 15 amps, the inverter takes out 4 tops) and
then get discharged down to 70% or so during the afternoon. The size of the
battery core is large enough that I can run tools, toys, lights in the
evening without dropping the pack below 40%.

Works pretty well actually.
Chris