Re: (ET) axles

At 10:07 AM 7/5/01 , Jim <fiskfarm mediaone net> wrote:
The reducer rings (3/4 to 1/2") used for reducing the size of knockouts
on electrical panels are quite thin and make great shims for taking out
the play on your steering gears. Don't let it go too long as the looser
they are, the faster they wear. I run the rear of the tractor up on
ramps to make it easier to get underneath.

I waited too long, until it hardly would steer. I was lucky, in that once I got the parts out I was able to grind away some material to make the gears mesh again.

I second the recommendation to keep the gears adjusted. There is a collar with a set screw on the steering rod just under the dash to push the small gear down, and shims at each end of the short shaft underneath to adjust the sector gear position.

Because of the wear on mine, I "milled" the "dish" of the sector gear to allow the small gear to get closer, and removed a little of the outer edge of the teeth to allow them to engage further into the small gear. While I was at it I rounded corners of the mounting casting to get it back into place easier. Went together much easier than it came apart.

Seems to work well, but of course will wear faster than if all the material was there. I promise to keep it greased and adjusted. (sheepish grin)

Paul Abendroth           pabendro gemair com

"There are those who will wish you good morning.
 If it is a good morning, which I doubt."
                                       - Eyore