Re: (ET) uh-oh what'd I do now...

Changing direction before the motor comes to a stop can weld or burn the
contacts on the reversing relay (which on my tractor reverses the
polarity on the field, not the armature).  That would fit with your
statement that the tractor now wants to go backwards -- the motor's only
field now comes from a bit of residual magnetism, and that's the last
direction it ran.

Don't try to run it this way, or you'll damage the commutator and/or
armature.  Visual inspection may reveal the problem.  The relay is
located on the back of the vertical panel in the rear of the front
battery compartment (at least it is on my E-15).

To confirm or test, disconnect one of the armature terminals.  Then with
the rear wheels off the ground and trans in neutral (for safety), apply
motor power and measure voltage across the field at the motor.  If it's
zero, that's probably the problem.  New reversing relays are available
from Bill Gunn.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
NOTE: If you receive an email which exhorts you to "Send
this to everyone you know," you don't know me.