Re: (ET) uh-oh what'd I do now...

I agree that it sounds likely that it's a field problem.  The chattering
may
be caused by the excessive load seen on the system when the field is not
present.

Some motors have stabilizing field windings in series with the armature in
addition to the regular field windings.  This is the case on our old E-20,
but I'm not sure what other ET motors.  When the "regular" field is not
energized, the only field magnetism comes from the stabilizing field
windings, which are reverse polarity from the "regular" field.  The
intention of these field windings is to keep the motor speed more constant
when the motor is under load and the armature current increases.  An
increase in motor load causes an increase in the armature current, which
causes an increase the stabilizing field current (in series) and thus
reduces the total field magnetism (counteracts the "regular" field), which
helps increase (stabilize) the motor speed, counteracting the increase in
the load on the motor.

I bring all this up just to make the point that motors with this feature
will run in the opposite direction if the regular field is not energized.
Without the regular field, though, the motor has almost no torque and draws
lots of current.  I'm sure running the motor under these conditions would
be
very destructive to everything involved, since the current draw is much,
much higher than normal.