Re: (ET) uh-oh what'd I do now...

Yesterday I got back to the E-trac and sure enough the reversing relay had
one set of burned points.  I couldn't get my ignition file between them so
clean them up best I could with sandpaper.  There was a 25amp fuse that
blown as well.  After replacing it and putting the relay back in I held my
breath and applied the power with the trans in neutral and heard the motor
turning normally both in forward and reverse.  Hot damn it runs again.

Thank you all who responded with probable causes and suggestions .  I
really
appreciate and admire your knowledge and willingness to share it so freely.
Someday I hope to be able to do likewise.

BTW the relay I am using came from the Hosfelt catalog.  I have the $20
version from Bill G sitting on the shelf as a spare.  A friend of mine
found
this relay that is pretty close (32v rated) for $1.49!  Now I'm glad I
fried
that one and not the $20 one.  I really don't know maybe I got what I paid
for??  If anyone is interested in these inexpensive relays I'll dig up the
catalog and post the ordering info.

Yet another question.  Does the fact that my relay took a big hit point to
bad varistor??  I understand the varistor is supposed to protect, soak up,
surges but that they do deteriorate with age.  I have a brand new one but
haven't put it in because it looked like a messy job (buried in amongst a
mess of wires).

thanks again, this is a great group and resource,

dave barden