(ET) uh-oh what'd I do now...

I've been using the E-trac to pull the car out of the garage so that I
could work on the painting of the mower deck.   Today as I was coasting
to a stop with the car in tow I started to shift into forward before
coming to a complete stop.  I wasn't thinking much about it at the time
(isn't that when all mistakes are made?) as I was nudging the "throttle"
forward I heard a little chattering sound.  I came out of my daze and
just turned the key off and left it.

    An hour later I hopped on the E-trac and ack-ack-ack-ack nothing but
this chattering noise like a bad starter solenoid on a car or dead
battery with not enough juice to turn the starter.  I get this noise
and  very little motion in either forward or reverse.  AND in forward it
is trying to go BACKWARDS.

    Any ideas what I've done?  How to determine the problem? How to
fix??

thanks much,

dave