(ET) Elec-Trak Chipper shredder conversion: MacKissic Hammermill type shipper Shredder with GE Snow-Thrower motor

Hi Group,

I recently converted a very old (LOUD) Belt driven Gasoline engine MacKissic brand Hammermill style Chipper Shredder to Elec-Trak powered (nicely quieter) unit by borrowing the motor from my Elec-Trak Snow Thrower.

It works great.

Did not use the clutch from the Gas engine, and did not even have to change or move the roughly 3" diameter pulley on the electric motor.

Snow Thrower cord is short, so I just made an extension from old electric 50A range cord & spare 50A 3 prong receptacle.

Dash board load meter shows typically low draw (unless I feed too much at once), but I don't know the REAL unloaded amps of the motor, or how many amps when that meter is in yellow or red zone.

Also, I think I need to install temperature gauge on the motor shell, with audible alert, because motor gets hot after a while (hope I did not damage the winding insulation  ! ).

Probably should have used Roto-Tiller motor, since it has ventilation screen.

Maybe could install screen on the snow blower motor, since I would prefer to have Roto-tiller and Chipper shredder available for use during same or overlapping seasons, whereas I rarely need snow thrower these days.

Also, to simplify moving, I added a drawbar & 2" ball hitch type coupler to the MacKissic, and 2" ball on the Elec-Trak E-15 (the tow adapter).

I plan on a few more changes to make the motor 'Quick Change'. Maybe Anderson connectors, & easy tension adjuster on the MacKissic.

OR, buy another 2HP motor.

So, if you have a Snow Thrower or spare similar motor (approx 2 HP ?) and you own or can find a good deal on the Hammermill design (belt driven, versus direct drive like many others)  Chipper Shredder, I would suggest trying the mod.

Anyone else have or try similar equipment or conversions ?

John