Re: (ET) disintegrating fuse block connections

On the GE E15, I replaced the factory fuse block with one from a local
marine store.  It was the house brand or some such, nothing I'd heard of
and
made in Taiwan, so I was skeptical, but the counterman assured me they'd
had
no returns.  The clips are supposedly gold plated.  Indeed it's pretty
stout, and has held up for some years now.  I'm using ring terminals for
it.

Speaking of gold, I think the mower fuses on my New Idea R36 were solid
gold, for as much as they cost.  After opening the last of my stock while
cutting the rough stuff up behind the barn, I replaced them with DC-rated
breakers (Airpax LEL type, rated 80V IIRC).  I tried to match the fuses'
time characteristics (x minutes at y amps, etc) as closely as possible.
The
breakers aren't a perfect match, but they do open now and again when I
push
the mower too hard, just as the fuses used to do, so I mostly trust them.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA