Re: (ET) A Cause of Poor Lift Performance

It was probably me who made the suggestion about electric linear actuators.
I have used 12 volt heavy duty actuators successfully for years to raise
and
lower dump trailers and ski trail groomers pulled behind ATVs and
snowmobiles.  These can be found on ebay.  For example the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venture-Mfg-Co-Linear-Actuator-MA-832018322-06BMG-6-
750-Pound-Lift-36-VDC-/251809356161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa101d98
1  is for a heavy duty 6 inch stroke, 36 volt model similar to what I have
used.  Be sure to get a heavy duty, not the light ones used to open car
doors, etc.
The big use difference between an actuator and a lift strap is that the
actuator will not "float", while the strap will go slack and allow the load
to rise and fall as necessary.  The actuator would be effective in an
application like a bulldozer blade where downpressure is desired for
digging.  A strap is more appropriate for lifting blowers and mowers where
the implement is required to float up and down during use.  Using an
electric winch instead of a window lift motor would make a big difference
in
raising implements!  I double the lift strap back up to the pulley bracket
to get more leverage on my mower - slower (1/2 as fast), but more lifting
power and less strain on the nylon strap.

<snip>

There are few times that I think an ICE tractor has more going for it than
an ET does, but I have to admit that my ET's lift looks like a hack job
compared to the smooth, powerful, reliable hydraulic lift on my neighbor's
midsize Deere (?).

Maybe a linear actuator could be adapted?  I seem to recall someone
mentioning that here quite a few years back, but don't remember what became
of the attempt.

> ... the GE motors had the main gear assembly as a solid unit... some
> of the GM models, the gear actually has a big spring in it that
> connects the outside of the gear to the pinion on the end ...  the
> motor can start to "spin up" and load up the spring before lifting.

My guess is that GM intended that more as a safety feature than as a
performance feature.  It gives the passenger a little more of a chance if
he
gets his hand in the way of a closing window.  But that's just a guess; I'm
not an automotive engineer.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "etpost" address will not reach me.  To send me a
private message, please use the address shown at the bottom of this page :
http://www.evdl.org/help/ = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =