Re: (ET) Replace a lift strap, motor, etc....

On 1/25/2015 9:42 PM, David Roden wrote:
No, they don't.  A series motor MUST have a load.  Operated at nameplate
voltage without any load, it will speed up until it flies apart.

Um...

I suspect that the reason an unloaded ET lift motor doesn't overspeed is
that the worm gear wastes a bunch of power, ensuring that the motor always
has at least some load.

Yep. The gear is enough of a load to keep the motor from exploding. I've run the motors at 18 volts without the gear without anything exploding.

Bit of FUD. I'd worry about the snowblower motor, but I have had the belt throw on the tiller motor (similar) and it didn't instantly explode. Just spun away normally till I could turn off the switch.