Re: (ET) E20EA troubles - and here comes the snow!

Quote: "Plow is not right for this much snow. The blower would have been the RIGHT tool. The plow was only ok.

The challenges in snow this deep (>2') include:
- blade rides up with increased pressure... not bad, you can build banks that way (about a 25 or 30 degree ramp, final pushes at bttom give about 45 degrees), see pic... http://www.flickr.com/photos/26110615@N03/8465411569/ and note the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink added weight) - spill over the top, spill in from the sides... even if you could keep the blade down, snow would fall back in from beside you and over the blade as you pushed an ever-larger pile ahead of you. And of course you have to keep the amount of snow very small around the wheels for traction. - angled blade is worthless... you can't push laterally for beans against that much mass."

Guys, I have used a blade to plow my driveway every year (except for last year, because we had a ridiculously mild winter after being extremely prepared.) The previous year I used my B-145 with OLD V-treads, a full weight box of lead window counter-weights, and L gear to push 1.5 foot of the plowtruck's ice and snow in order to open up my driveway (both entrances). These tractors are certainly capable of plowing that much snow/weight, just have to get the right combination of things together to do it. Now, with that said, I had some trouble plowing the 12" of extremely WET snow this year, but mostly because my drive motor needed some maintenance and the snow sticking to the blade. Once I fixed the drive motor issue, I plowed the next 4" of snowfall the entire length of my driveway and then some for a total of approximately 125 feet. We don't generally get 2' of snow in one storm in Ohio, but I welcome it, because I'd be out there having fun for hours. I feel like Arnold Schwarzenegger in a bodybuilding contest when I plow snow, because these tractors are STRONG. Trust me, I even imitate him while the tractor does the work.

Plow away.

Chad