Re: (ET) 36 to 14 volt DC-DC converter (was Today's lessons with heavy snow)

You're going to laugh, but what I want is a bolt-in, solid-state
replacement for the "toaster" that can handle 500 Amps at 36VDC.

According to the circuit designers I've consulted, it's actually
theoretically possible to make a high-current device that throttles
the juice (rather than just blowing off a portion of it as heat) but
it's really not at all cost effective when you consider the price of
electricity and the immense durability of the stock toaster.

Yeah, I said you'd laugh, now didn't I?

--Charlie