Re: (ET) Today's lessons with heavy snow

On 12/22/2012 11:30 AM, Chris Tromley wrote:

For the lift, how big a deal is it to just run it on 36V?  If it only
runs for a few seconds at a time and has plenty of cool-off time, why
would it hurt?  If it is a problem, I wonder if you could use a cheapo
off-the-shelf scooter controller?

Honestly? I don't know. It probably would be ok, the problem is the lift current breaker would probably fuse instantly if it tried to open due to overload, that would be a problem.

Hm. Actually I have a bunch of apart-lift motors, I'll give it an honest shot. The question is how do we current-limit it so the overload can work? Maybe bypass it completely and use a 5 amp circuit breaker instead of a fuse? What would be a good auto-reset 5-10 amp circuit breaker?

How common are 36V-to-12V DC/DC converters that would be suitable for
the lights?  Are there any 48V input models that would still work with a
sagging 36V pack?

I used to use a Vicor DC-DC that would put out 12 volts for the um E-meter and lights. But one morning I came out and found it had literally blown up, which was odd. Might have been over-voltaged, but it should have been able to handle up to 50 volts input.

Where I really need to limit current is on the sweeper. The motor on that is just too darn fast, it beats up the brushes and the grass. Maybe I could get a much smaller pulley or something.