(ET) Today's lessons with heavy snow

Just in from almost 3 hours of plowing with the E12. I'm pleasantly surprised how long it lasted, with older batteries (6 years I think) and temperature around the freezing point. I was using the front lift and lights extensively, and it was clear the front half of the pack was more tired than the rear half by the time I was done.

The snow today is wet and heavy, and was about 7 inches deep when I started (probably another inch or so fell while I was out). Due to the way the driveway joins the street, there is a long section where the bottom inch or two is slush. I've tried this stuff before with the blower and it just spits water. So, today is the first time I have used the plow blade intensively for snow clearing.

The tractor has two mechanical 'clutches' to reduce damage when I am being too aggressive. The drive belt slips when I'm pushing a heavy load (I'm guessing up to 400 pounds at times today in front of the blade). It's likely due for a tightening adjustment anyway. The belt was replaced a few years ago, so is likely in pretty good shape. The second 'clutch' is the lift strap for the plow blade. I took a run at an ice block from a previous municipal plow and snapped the lift strap. Fortunately, that was a quick fix, and back to work in a couple of minutes.

I loved the way the blade lifted the sheets of packed snow and ice off the street pavement. I have never seen that clean a pick up with a walk-behind unit or the snowblower on the ET.

I would not have attempted today's snow removal with a shovel and muscle power due to the weight of the snow and amount to be cleared.

Until today, I had not really recognized how noisy the snowblower attachment is. I liked the relative quiet. Also, the blade is a lot lighter, so I did not need the extra weight on the back for balance (tiller), which makes the tractor a lot more nimble.

Next time I get the tractor under cover and on dry ground, I'm going to be adding more lighting, both for vision and visibility. Xenon driving lamps for the front and flashing red LEDs for the rear and sides. (and tighten that drive belt)

I'm sure this is old news to many of you, but it was new discoveries for me, and I thought I would share.

--
Darryl McMahon