Re: (ET) Today's lessons with heavy snow

On 12/21/2012 5:58 PM, Darryl McMahon wrote:
Just in from almost 3 hours of plowing with the E12.  I'm pleasantly
surprised how long it lasted, with older batteries (6 years I think) and
temperature around the freezing point.  I was using the front lift and
lights extensively, and it was clear the front half of the pack was more
tired than the rear half by the time I was done.

That is a problem. I keep thinking I should get myself a 36 volt to 18 volt controller. Maybe I can take one of these 600 amp IGBTs and run it at a 50% duty cycle or something. What would be a good frequency to run a 555 timer to a 2708 driver to the IGBT gate?

Until today, I had not really recognized how noisy the snowblower
attachment is.  I liked the relative quiet.  Also, the blade is a lot
lighter, so I did not need the extra weight on the back for balance
(tiller), which makes the tractor a lot more nimble.

Indeed. The blower makes one heck of a racket, but it's still quieter than a gas unit. I really appreciate how the blower can toss the snow a good 10 feet or so, I don't have a super-wide driveway and it's a serious hill.

I'm sure this is old news to many of you, but it was new discoveries for
me, and I thought I would share.

It is always helpful to hear what works for people. I like the thought of the tiller as counterweight, but I leave my tractor in the driveway for the winter and don't want to rust the tiller. So I have 100 pounds of BB600's in the battery box and I can put another 200 pounds of lead on top of it if needed.

Speaking of which I should get the snow blower hitched up this weekend and on the driveway. No snow here in MD yet, but it is getting cold...

Chris