Re: (ET) Water tank attachment for an Elec-trak.

Northern tool and equipment, or tractor supply or atwoods (depending on which of the two latter ones are in your area) all have transfer pumps and related equipment, and northern tool has whole setup or just the parts, including opaque plastic tanks and trailer bases, depending on how much you want to do yourself.  I wouldn't use a gas tank unless it was plastic, and even then, you would want to add a sight gage to see how full it was.

The problem you will run into is that most of the pumps take 12VDC.  But you can handle that with a couple of diodes to drop the voltage, or, if you want to get fancy, you could use one of those low amperage PWM controllers from ebay, that are intended for use on scooters and such.  Those are usually 50A or less, but I have seen them up to 100A, and they are usually rated for up to 40V.

David Brandt

From: Christopher Zach <cz alembic crystel com>
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 1:17 PM
Subject: (ET) Water tank attachment for an Elec-trak.

Ok, I need something else here; I want to build a water tank for my Elec-trak. Something that can carry a good 10-15 gallons of water from my rain barrels out to the garden, or to wash off the solar panels on the shed.

The problem is, how?

What I have is a 16 gallon fuel tank from a Porsche 914, a welder, and a bit of time. I could probably build a rail mount for the tank and put it on the back of an Elec-trak, but the problem is filling and emptying it.

I'd want a pump that can provide around 40-50 pounds of pressure, and be able to run backwards so I can fill the tank by hooking the hose to the rain barrel. And of course run on 36 volts DC.

Any thoughts before I just begin welding?