Re: (ET) Motor, belts, and underside wiring completed, time for topside

On 11/9/2010 10:24 AM, David Roden wrote:
Virtually all of the fasteners offered today, and certainly any the big box
chain stores sell, seem to be Chinese made and unmitigated junk.  They're
meant to be as cheap as possible, not to fit or to hold or to last.  I
suspect, but don't know for sure, that the steel used is contaminated low
grade scrap.

Well, I wouldn't say *that*. The rusted hulk of metal left sticks to the Elec-trak steel quite well, it means you don't have to install lock washers. :-)

The HD stainless steel and metric bolts seem to be of better quality, they don't rust or fail as much.

That said, I agree: I have come to the conclusion that the only way to get newer bolts off is to break them off. Insane. If McMaster sells real screws that will work.

Chris