(ET) Fwd: A new coat of paint....

Oops, sorry you're getting this twice Harry.  I didn't notice that my mail program replied to you instead of the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ben Griffith <griffithba gmail com>
Date: Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM
Subject: Re: (ET) A new coat of paint....
To: harry landis <hlandis hotmail com>

After reading this thread I fired off an inquiry to Bay State Galvanizing (Everett, Mass.) to see what was involved and what the ballpark cost would be.  I have a mower deck and snowblower that are both pretty rusty, so I asked about both.  I mentioned the width and the approximate weight of each.  Within minutes I got a response back saying it would be in the neighborhood of $450-500, and that all I'd have to do is bring all the parts in and the acid bath would take care of all the rust/paint removal (the part I dread doing manually if I clean/paint them myself).  That's for around 300 pounds of deck and snowblower parts.  I haven't actually used the snowblower yet (having just entered into the ET world over the summer), so I wrote back to ask how much just the mower deck would be, and how much more to prime/paint.  Haven't heard back on that yet.

-Ben

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:54 AM, harry landis <hlandis hotmail com> wrote:
You can't paint galvanized steel if the zinc has had enough time to oxidize, as the paint won't stick. But if you do it quick enough it works. I don't know if the time is seconds, hours or days. My local galvanizing place offers to paint it when they finish galvanizing. They are V&S Galvanizing, with several locations nationwide.
For others, try the Yellow Pages or Mr Google. He knows a lot of stuff.

Harry Landis