Re: (ET) Golf cart batteries

Hazen, Dwight L Wrote

>After a few weeks of being perplexed (I was a physics major and knew what
I'd seen was >impossible :-) I finally figured out what was going on: The
cell voltage is indeed >dependent upon the temperature of the cell... but
the top of the cell was not at the same >temperature as the bottom of the
cell! One part of the cell was discharging and trying to >charge the other
part of the cell because of the temperature gradient across the cell. >The
cool, 23C concrete was soaking the heat out of the bottom of the battery by
>conduction, and the top part of the battery was being warmed by the 37C
ambient air.

I'm having trouble with the idea that the lead and sulfuric acid have a low
enough thermal conductivity to maintain a significant temperature
difference across the battery.  Especially given the low conductivity of
air (which would be the heat source maintaining the difference).

Robert