Re: (ET) Golf cart batteries

I asked Nawaz Qureshi about the concrete floor stories.  Nawaz is a
degreed
electrochemist and vice president of engineering at US Battery.  Here is
what he said :

"From what I know, this sitting on concrete causing self discharge is a
myth.

"It started when the batteries were made in rubber cases and there was
some
reaction between rubber and concrete causing the case to develop micro
fissures.  The micro fissures caused the acid (electrolyte) to seep out
creating an electrolytic current conductive path between adjacent cells.
It
is like having a hole in the cell wall creating a short between the
negative
and the positive of the adjacent cells since they are welded together for
series connection.

"As for the temperature gradient theory, the temperature gradient cannot
exist for long periods of time, and even if it did, I do not see how that
would accelerate self discharge."

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA