Re: (ET) Golf cart batteries

On 15 Jan 2009 at 12:59, Charlie wrote:

> David, have you performed any experiments to test this "old myth"?

Not a fully controlled one.  However, I store most of my lead batteries on
the garage floor.  I have a LOT of them -- flooded, gel, and AGM.  I have
NEVER had significant self-discharge problems with any.

I think the key is keeping the tops clean.  Because the floor can be a
heat
sink, it may cause the batteries to be cooler than ambient.  This might in
some conditions cause condensation on the battery tops.  If they're clean
that has no real effect; but with dirt and electrolyte spray left there,
it
might.

As I say, I've never had any excessive self-discharge problems with
batteries stored on the garage floor.  Or cellar floor, for that matter.

Robert Klein wrote:

> When sitting on concrete the path to ground was established thereby
> draining down the battery.

I can't see how this would have any effect unless the battery were somehow
connected to a grounded circuit.  Am I missing something here?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA