Re: (ET) Power Inverters - cold batteries, motor current draw

On 11 Dec 2007 at 15:09, Christopher Zach wrote:

> Mmm. Back in 2000 I built a pair of 6 LED lights on a breadboard

A pair of 6?

> provide low-level lighting in my shed at night. It's enough that I can
> see to get in the door, and get things. Not enough to work by, but
> that's what the halogens are for.

How many lumens?

> They have been in use for 7 years now, 24*7*365, powered by the shed's
> batteries. Total power used has been:
>
> 3,600 watts

Wow, I hope you mean "total ENERGY used has been 3,600 Watt-HOURS."
Otherwise there's something very unusual and extraordinary about those
LEDs.

> Over 7 years. Not too bad.Compare that to a night-light (4w) which would
> have used:
>
> 24,500 watts.

Again, I assume you mean Watt-HOURs.

The question is, how does the lumen output of those LEDs compare with the
4W
night light?  I think if you look at lumens/Watt, you'll find that for
very
low lumen outputs high quality / high efficacy LEDs are the champs,
especially if you need colored light.  Cheap LEDs can be surprisingly
inefficient even at low levels, however.

At higher lumen levels, fluorescents quickly surpass even good LEDs for
efficacy.  I've never computed where the crossover happens, but I have the
sense that it's pretty darn low, in either the single digits of Watts or
possibly the low tens.

LEDs work well in flashlights because they don't drag down the battery as
it
becomes expended, as incandescents do.  Someday they will be a high
efficacy
light source for the home.  But frankly the current crop is rather
oversold
as a high-efficacy light source.  FWIW, a couple of companies are offering
LED lights for home lighting.  Only a few of them meet California's
minimum
efficacy standards for primary kitchen lighting, and those just barely.
Fluorescents ace those standards.

I could see using some of the latest white LEDs for ET headlights.  HID
would beat them for efficacy, but would probably be much more of a
challenge
to fit.  They (LEDs) would also be a tad pricey.  But very cool.  ;-)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

     And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
     slouches toward Bethlehem to be born?

                                  -- W B Yeats