Re: (ET) Power Inverters - cold batteries, motor current draw

David Roden wrote:
On 11 Dec 2007 at 10:58, JohnR wrote:

if you need to run lights, use LED's.  They draw TINY amounts of power

Actually, >for a reasonable amount of light output<, compact fluorescents are almost always more efficient than white LEDs. There are a few prototype white LEDs now that can match and possibly even exceed CF efficiency, but they're not available at a price that a normal mortal would want to pay.

Mmm. Back in 2000 I built a pair of 6 LED lights on a breadboard to provide low-level lighting in my shed at night. It's enough that I can see to get in the door, and get things. Not enough to work by, but that's what the halogens are for.

They have been in use for 7 years now, 24*7*365, powered by the shed's batteries. Total power used has been:

3,600 watts

Over 7 years. Not too bad.Compare that to a night-light (4w) which would have used:

24,500 watts.

Chris