Re: (ET) Power Inverters - cold batteries, motor current draw

At 03:09 PM 12/11/2007 -0500, Christopher Zach wrote:
David Roden wrote:
> On 11 Dec 2007 at 10:58, JohnR wrote:
>
>> if you need to run lights, use LED's.  They draw TINY amounts of power
>
> Actually, >for a reasonable amount of light output<, compact fluorescents
> are almost always more efficient than white LEDs. There are a few prototype
> white LEDs now that can match and possibly even exceed CF efficiency, but
> they're not available at a price that a normal mortal would want to pay.

Mmm. Back in 2000 I built a pair of 6 LED lights on a breadboard to
provide low-level lighting in my shed at night. It's enough that I can
see to get in the door, and get things. Not enough to work by, but
that's what the halogens are for.

They have been in use for 7 years now, 24*7*365, powered by the shed's
batteries. Total power used has been:

3,600 watts

Watt-Hours presumably.  Either that or one very bright light.

Over 7 years. Not too bad.Compare that to a night-light (4w) which would
have used:

24,500 watts.

That's a saving of what $3.14 even at $0.15/kWh.

How long until you pay for the breadboard? ;)

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself.  There are always restrictions,
be they legal, genetic, or physical.  If you don't believe me, try to chew
a radio signal. "  -- Kelvin Throop, III
http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/