To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 11:26 PM
Subject: (ET) More Power Inverters

I was probably nearly correct about the amps pulled by my furnace blower
( I said it was 11). I had estimated 11, allowing for a big surge. So I
measured it. The start up surge went to 8.4 on my galvo type meter ( but
the actual peak, if displayed on a scope, could be twice that for a very
short time). Suppressing that surge may be the key to making an inverter
do the job without kicking circuit breakers.  The run current measured
only 4.7 amps, indicating that 115  X 4.7  = 540 VA would  handle the
running current. A 1kw inverter is therefore probably enough to run a
furnace, refrigerator, a TV, and a few lights (for running current
only). Would a big capacitor handle that pesky surge?
   Whats bothering me now is Russ's getting only 6-9 hours out of the
36 volt pack. I was hoping for for much longer.

Bill Alburty
E-12