Re: (ET) Power Inverters - cold batteries, motor current draw

On 11 Dec 2007 at 10:58, JohnR wrote:

> if you need to run lights, use LED's.  They draw TINY amounts of power

Actually, >for a reasonable amount of light output<, compact fluorescents
are almost always more efficient than white LEDs.  There are a few
prototype
white LEDs now that can match and possibly even exceed CF efficiency, but
they're not available at a price that a normal mortal would want to pay.

OTOH, if all you want is very dim light, just enough to see by, white LEDs
might be just the ticket.  The reason is that at very low wattages (1-2 W
or
less) fluorescent ballast loss becomes dominant.

Wow, this is getting off topic.  Sorry.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

     How is the world ruled, and how do wars start?  Diplomats
     tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read.

                              -- Karl Kraus