Re: (ET) New controller suggestions

Alltrax makes a controller specifically designed and programmed for the
E15.
 I have one on my E15 and it's quite satisfactory.  I believe it can also
be
used on other ETs with wound field motors.  I don't think I'd try to use
it
on an ET with a permanent magnet motor though - I think I recall reading
that it gets confused or may even be damaged if the field output isn't
connected to anything.

Others have used different options.  At least one (former?) member of this
list adapted a Curtis series motor controller intended for golf cars.
These
require some method of powering the field so it is properly energized when
the armature is powered.  Also, they require a certain minimum amount of
motor inductance for the current limit to work reliably.  (If the current
limit doesn't work right, starts may be jerky, and the contoller may fail
from overcurrent.) The ET motor may need a series inductor to provide
enough
inductance for a Curtis, though I'm not sure about that.

At least one other person on this list used a 4QD controller for a wound
field motor.  I believe I recall that he used the brake release output to
control field power.  I have his posts on this filed away somewhere, but
don't have time to look for them now.

The 4QD is probably a good choice for ETs fitted with PM motors as that is
its intended application.  I have one here for my New Idea rider, but
haven't gotten round to installing it yet.  This summer has been WAY too
busy.

Bottom line is that the E15 and Alltrax is the only existing "plug and
play"
solution.  Others will require a modicum of expertise and understanding of
EV and electronic principles to implement.  An experienced EV hobbyist can
probably figure it out, but I don't know that I'd trust a golf car
workshop,
as my impression has been that their mechanics mostly swap out "black
boxes"
without necessarily knowing what they do.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks
you take.

                     -- Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)