From: "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <etpost drmm net>
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) por-15 metal ready - made my parts rust?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 18:08:28 -0400

On 21 Jun 2006 at 17:06, Michael S Briggs wrote:

> Maybe they should call this stuff "Rust Ready"?

After the raves I've read here over the last couple of years, I was about to
have my small deck sandblasted and paint it with POR-15.  Then two people
said they'd left damp grass on a deck so treated, and gotten rust spots - not exactly in line with what POR-15 claims for a coating that "gets harder when
exposed to moisture."   Now, this.  So, I'm not sure I'll go ahead.

In all fairness, bare steel + water + air = rust. And I've had the same results when I didn't paint right away after using ordinary metal prep etchant from the
auto paint supply store.  But what bothers me is, again, is that POR-15
claims that their product coats the surface to prevent rust. Does it really? If
there's a "zinc coating" from this stuff, it doesn't seem to have done you
much good.

My concern is that POR-15 may be yet another case of overpriced but fairly
ordinary products. Their website seems to claim miracles - but which of their
products lives up to their claims?

Their stuff is pretty darn pricey. I'm thinking that some good old fashioned
metal prep, followed immediately by a coat of 2-part primer, then catalyzed
acrylic enamel, might work equally well - or better. Besides, these products
are available from local specialty paint jobbers, and might well cost me
significantly less.

Other thoughts?