Re: (ET) por-15 metal ready - made my parts rust?

On 21 Jun 2006 at 17:06, Michael S Briggs wrote:

> Maybe they should call this stuff "Rust Ready"?

After the raves I've read here over the last couple of years, I was about
have my small deck sandblasted and paint it with POR-15.  Then two people
said they'd left damp grass on a deck so treated, and gotten rust spots -
not
exactly in line with what POR-15 claims for a coating that "gets harder
when
exposed to moisture."   Now, this.  So, I'm not sure I'll go ahead.

In all fairness, bare steel + water + air = rust.  And I've had the same
results
when I didn't paint right away after using ordinary metal prep etchant
from the
auto paint supply store.  But what bothers me is, again, is that POR-15
claims that their product coats the surface to prevent rust.  Does it
really?  If
there's a "zinc coating" from this stuff, it doesn't seem to have done you
much good.

My concern is that POR-15 may be yet another case of overpriced but fairly
ordinary products.  Their website seems to claim miracles - but which of
their
products lives up to their claims?

Their stuff is pretty darn pricey.  I'm thinking that some good old
fashioned
metal prep, followed immediately by a coat of 2-part primer, then
catalyzed
acrylic enamel, might work equally well - or better.  Besides, these
products
are available from local specialty paint jobbers, and might well cost me
significantly less.

Other thoughts?