Re: (ET) Looking for an Elec-Trak in eastern PA

On 6/21/06, Rod Hower <rodhower ameritech net> wrote:
Chris Tromley is in your area I think.

--- Mailing_lists <mailing_lists russorourke com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After several months of trying to learn as much as
> possible before
> taking the plunge, I've decided now is the time.
>
> The big question I still have is the performance
> difference (if any)
> between the mid and front mounted mowing decks.
>
> For the past few years I've been mowing our 1/3 acre
> lawn with a
> cordless push mower, so from what I've read, just
> about any sized ET
> should be able to handle the task.
>
> If anyone has or knows of an ET available in the
> eastern PA
> (Philadelphia / Allentown) or NJ area, please drop
> me a line.

Hi Rod, Russ,

I'm in the area all right, but can't really help with a tractor.  I
have mine and hope to keep it a *very* long time.  I'd be happy to
chat on or off list about it (please use my gmail address), but I'm
only a two-season 'Trak-er (actually EGT-150 New Idea-er).  The man to
see in this area is Harold Zimmerman.  Just look in the archives for
Clean Power.  Harold gave me a good deal on a good tractor and really
helped this newbie figure out what I needed.

I was also concerned about the difference between mid and front mount
decks.  I ended up getting a mid mount.  The differences you'd expect
are that you can get under stuff easily with a front mount and flip it
up to hose it out, but having the deck way out front also poses some
problems.

Keep in mind that your tractor (or any non-leaning, front-steering
vehicle) turns around the rear tires.  Having the deck way out front
means that your rear tires will always be inside the tightest circle
you can mow around.  If you have tight curves around flower beds,
trees, walls, etc., that might be an issue.

Most large frame ETs have a really tiny turning circle which is a
benefit in some cases.  The mid mount decks only fit on special long
wheelbase ETs (the M in E-15M, etc.) that can't turn anywhere near as
tight.  I posted some numbers maybe two years ago, but don't have them
on this computer.

Anyway, I've sometimes wished I had a tighter turning circle.  I also
wish my mid mount deck wouldn't hang up so easily on roots, stones,
etc. when backing up.  (I've had to unfold my deck on a few
occasions.)  I'm not happy about having to unhitch the thing and haul
it out to clean it.  But I really like having the deck right near the
rear wheels so I don't run over what I'm trying to mow around.

Remember that I have virtually no experience with a "normal" front
mount ET.  This is just one man's opinion.

Chris