Re: (ET) Battery failure?

Just looked it up -

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90636

item # 90636-1VGA7

on sale for $19.99.

I don't have one of these, but it looks similiar to an old tester I own and I think they work well - I have found a bum battety may charge up and look fine open circuit, but put the tester on it and it gets real clear if it's good or not. They are real simple - just a big resistor and a voltmeter.

- Steve

steves wrote:
Harbor Freight (or such) has battery testers on sale all the time for $20 or so (as I recall)

-Steve

Christopher Zach wrote:

I'd say buy a battery load tester. This is a device that clamps onto the battery posts and puts a 75-100 amp load on the battery, then measures voltage. Chances are one of your batteries has a bad cell.

You could just take a coat hanger, dunk it in a bucket of water, then wire that up to each battery and check voltage but for $50 I'd go to Sears.com and get the right model.

Chris
willaim att net wrote:

Hello Group: My E12 has started to lose speed and endurance. The batteries are old but all measure about 6.1 VDC after use. There are no warm cables or terminals. The drive and mower motors don't get hot. The fuel gage goes to mid red fairly quickly while mowing. It won't go very long in 4th gear. After full timer charge the gage goes to upper 1/3 of Green. This degrading performance is over the last 2 weeks. I'm thinking its time for getting new batteries, but I'm not really sure that's the problem. Any suggestions?

Is there an easy way to make an electrical capacity test on a battery using a certain piece of everyday metal, an ampere gage, and stopwatch? I seem to remember that on a posting way back.

Thanks, Bill Alburty 66206