Re: (ET) new owner with a question

Congrats on the ET. The E12S is a good model as it has good power and a fairly simple control system.

First get a schematic to help with troubleshooting (elec-trak.org has the E12S manual from microfiche - a bit rough but readable).

Some general points:

1. Only the lights run from 12V, and they tap off two of the rear batteries. So with no rear batteries you won't see much happen. 2. Try to find some servicable used golf cart batteries - they are cheap and may last you a long time. 3. In lieu of batteries you can use the charger to do some tests (not lights or lift). 4. Before going to far, though, open up the various panels and clean out the mice nests and wiggle the various connectors to be sure they have good contact with the boards, relays, etc.
5. You can check the lift with two batteries in the front:
  a. Hook the batteries up as the old ones were (you did note that, right?)
b. In the rear attach the two small cables to the large cable marked '00'. One of those cables is the lift, the other small cable is the lights - I don't recall how to tell which is which. c. Turn on the main disconnect. The lift should work. The key does not have to be on.
  d . It will run slow as it is on 12V instead of it's normal 18.
6. If you want to check the lights, do this:
  a. Put the batteries in the rear.
b. Hook them in series. Attach the negative end to wire 4 (it's marked on the cable and it's a large cable). Attach the positive end to the two smaller cables. Leave the wire marked '00' alone for now. c. The lights should operate now (they tap off the battery pack with one of the two smaller cables - the other is the lift )
  d. Note that the lights will work without key or main disconnect on.

7. The main motor will probably run off 12v too if you jumper past the missing batteries, but the contactors and relays may not.

Be careful!

- SteveS
E12S, E20

Allen Hunt wrote:

I am the proud new owner of an E-12s, Model number
26AE12BA and serial number DP16776.  I live in
Evansville, Indiana and bought it from a guy in
northern Indiana.  All of the batteries were split
open when I bought it last week.  I've replaced the
two front ones so far and turned on the key to check
to see if anything registered on the fuel meters -
nothing.  I turned the big master switch on the left
side of the cowl both ways with no results.  Also
tried the lights and the front lift with the big
switch in both postions and nothing.  I thought I'd
ask now before replacing the back batteries to see if
I can isolate any front electrical problems while
there is no electricity in the back.

Allen