Re: (ET) Re: testing batteries

Yup. Most automotive load testers I've seen apply a 75 or 100 amp load to a 12 volt battery. Since it is just a resistor inside, that means it puts a 37 to 50 amp load on a 6 volt battery. If the meter on it is accurate enough, you should see at least 5.25 volts after applying the load for 5-10 seconds.

Mike Wallace wrote:
Jim, when you said, "should be over 6 volts no load, and over 5 volts with
load", did you mean when using recommended 10 second load test at 100
amps with the automotive load tester?  I doubt if this old load tester
could
take much more, but with only $5 and some time replacing one of the leads
invested, so what if I burn it up.

_________
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak