(ET) Re: testing batteries

To *really* test the batteries would take a lot of time that you can't do in the field. However, assuming you have a pile to choose from for cheap:

You could first open the caps and look inside. No water, lots of gross stuff growing on the plates, etc. would be cause to move on. Also make sure the terminals and case don't look abused, dropped, etc. Then can use your load tester... should be over 6 volts no load, and over 5 volts with load. Any battery that drops under 4 volts has a reversed cell so leave it and move on.

This will get you a bunch of cheap batteries that at least have some life in them. You won't know how much capacity they have until you either do detailed load testing (ie keep a load on them until discharged, recharge, and repeat several times). Putting them in the tractor is probably the easiest way to test. I'd be tempted to buy say 9 potentially decent ones so as to have a few backups. If you have an external charger, it would be a good idea to charge the batteries individually before trying in the tractor (or at least in pairs if you have a 12-volt automotive charger handy).

Mike Wallace wrote:
Okay guys, I got one for you to discuss. I've got a lead on some supposedly "decent" used golf cart batteries for $6 a piece from a local golf course. $6 is the current core charge that the Interstate dealer is charging the guy that's selling the new batteries to the guy at the golf course.

What's the best way to try and field test them before I go to the trouble of buying them and bringing them home. Currently in my area, no recycling businesses are buying old batteries.

Is the standard automotive load tester worth using on our batteries? I recently acquired a "defective" one that just needed a new lead on one side; and naturally I've got a hydrometer and volt meter.

Any suggestions? Especially on just how to use the load tester, if it's feasible to even try to use it.

Mike in KY

_________
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak