RE: (ET) Batteries and lighting

At 08:37 PM 3/12/05 -0800, Dave & Deb wrote:
Yeah I wondered about the "real life" meaning of this draw down test and
tried to ask but there was a lot of folks and distraction going on.
since Dave Cloud's focus is racing, drag and endurance, I would guess it
has more meaning/application to him than it does to us with our etraks...

However I don't think a car battery is ever meant to be drawn down to
10volts is it?

For Drag racing it might make sense. That'll be a short run at high current all the way (hopefully).

10V on the battery, that will be 1.67V per cell. If that's while drawing 400A then It's not too much of a dip . Even at 5 milliohms 400Amps is a 2V drop.

At rest that would be a low voltage, but it would not be meaningful immediately after the current was removed. The battery will need some time to recover.

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself. There are always restrictions, be they legal, genetic, or physical. If you don't believe me, try to chew a radio signal. " -- Kelvin Throop, III
http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/