RE: (ET) Batteries and lighting

At 07:30 AM 3/12/05 -0800, Dave & Deb wrote:
Here's the battery dran down results I mentioned earlier.  I see I lied,
just a little, about the car battery outperforming all the optimas but
still it showed surprising capacity considering the number of cycles on
it.

Here are the results I recorded from our drain test demonstration last
night:

41.2lb Orbital XCD34
forty some seconds to 9.5V
0:44 to 9.5V @ 400A

<snip>

That's more of a test of cranking capacity than run capacity. It's not surprising the car battery showed well, that's the kind of use they are optimized for. Deep Discharge batteries are optimized for long runtimes but at lower currents. Optimized being a somewhat fuzzy term in this case.

400A is a reasonably substantial battery load even for an industrial forklift. Peak motor (not battery currents) during acceleration can run 600-1000A (it's been a while since I measured but battery draw would be well below that) and during run the draw can drop to 30 to 75A depending on the vehicle.

Robert

" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself. There are always restrictions, http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/ be they legal, genetic, or physical. If you don't believe me, try to
chew a radio signal. "

                        Kelvin Throop, III